[Fedora-packaging] Pre-review Gudelines

Deepak Bhole dbhole at redhat.com
Fri May 8 23:01:46 UTC 2009

* Toshio Kuratomi <a.badger at gmail.com> [2009-05-08 18:45]:
> Deepak Bhole wrote:
> > -> build maven2 in bootstrap mode (--with bootstrap), install that copy
>
> Hey Deepak,
>
> So from the discussion we had on IRC, I added a note that maven2 itself
> will need to bootstrap itself with binaries from its tarball.  But I
> looked on the maven2 website and saw that they suggest bootstrapping
> with ant and then rebuilding with the newly built maven2:
>
> http://maven.apache.org/guides/development/guide-building-m2.html
>
> Is there some reason that those instructions don't work now?

Hi Toshio,

We could use the ant build, but it offers no real advantage. The ant build
still downloads the jars that we package in the tarball. There is no way
around those dependencies. While using ant may knock off a
very small subset of jars from the bootstrap tarball, it will vastly
increase maintenance as we would have to set it up so that each version
of each dependency is acquired from a local source.

Cheers,
Deepak