[Fedora-packaging] Re: Requiring xinetd when placing files into /etc/xinetd.d

Enrico Scholz enrico.scholz at informatik.tu-chemnitz.de
Tue May 26 22:29:37 UTC 2009

Todd Zullinger <tmz at pobox.com> writes:

> Even when it means that we're shipping something that doesn't work out
> of the box?

Yes. When somebody wants to run git-daemon he has to think about security
implications and has to know technical parameters (e.g. ports which must
be opened in the firewall).  This includes reading documentation where
the requirements can be explicitly mentioned.

For more end-user specific services some special packaging (e.g. moving
core stuff into -core subpackage and providing initscripts in the main
package) can be done.  But for git-daemon this is overkill imo...

> I do understand keeping requirements to a minimum, but I think that
> also needs to be balanced against making packages work as smoothly as
> possible by default.

For me, preconfigured stuff like

| user            = nobody
| server_args     = ... -path=/var/lib/git

is painful to handle (running as 'nobody' might be a temporary hack but
nothing for production usage, and the path simply does not fit into my
system).

Writing setup/initscripts from scratch is here easier than to cope with
the existing ones.

Enrico