[Fedora-packaging] New autogenerated documentation guideline proposal

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Fri Aug 6 17:02:34 UTC 2010

On Thu, Aug 05, 2010 at 10:36:43PM -0500, Carl Thompson wrote:
>  On 08/05/2010 10:21 PM, Chen Lei wrote:
> >> Agreed. It may become a target feature for f15- but it will involve
> >> changing the format of the repodata and that will be invasive.
> >>

> >> -sv
> > At least, we should not ship apidocs for normally desktop program(e.g.
> > gedit) and not ship duplicate format docs(e.g. shipping html pdf doc
> > in the same package), personally I like html docs better than doc/pdf.
> >
> > I suggest to disscuss extreme big auto-generated apidocs(size > 100M)
> > rpm case by case, it'll be better to determine whether shipping it or
> > not by FESCo. I think only popular libraries are worth to ship a big
> > -doc subpackage, other library packages should not enable generate big
> > doc subpackage by default, user who really need those docs can
> > generate -doc subpackage by running 'rpmbuild -bb with...'.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Chen Lei
> > --
> >
> How about a docs repo seperate from standard repos so end users could
> disable that repo if they don't want it.
>
> Just a thought.

I like this thought but I'm not sure if it will work with our
infrastructure. It'd be the time we split subpackages built
by the same SRPM into separate repos.   If this is something that people
wantto explore we'll need to ask the people who deal with koji, bodhi, the
repositories, etc, how hard this will be to implement and weigh those
against the benefits.