[Fedora-packaging] makeinstall macro still allowed?

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Wed Aug 11 11:44:43 UTC 2010

On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 15:21:13 +0530, Parag wrote:

> Hi,
>   Do we allow makeinstall macro to be used in spec? I see one case
> pango.spec uses it. I also see if I use the guidelines
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Guidelines#Why_the_.25makeinstall_macro_should_not_be_used,
> then we can avoid its usage.

The guidelines are clear about this. If an invocation like

  make DESTDIR=${RPM_BUILD_ROOT} install

works (and DESTDIR may have a different name), it MUST be preferred over
the brute-force %makeinstall.

On the other hand, %makeinstall (see "rpm --eval %makeinstall" for what it
does), may still be used for package, which use custom Makefiles and
don't contain a $DESTDIR installation (or a similar technique).

Also note that some packages use a shorter, expanded form of %makeinstall,
as they run something like

  make prefix=%{buildroot}%{prefix} ...

and basically do the same as %makeinstall, albeit only for some of the
variables.

>   If FPC thinks pango package should be fixed then can someone from
> FPC please commit that change?

It should be easy to simply give it a try first.

pango.spec doesn't follow the guidelines in other areas either, though,
e.g. the explicit Requires are missing comments.