[Fedora-packaging] Python Guidelines Vote

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 19:41:32 UTC 2010

From the summary for today's meeting:
"""
The committee started voting on new Guidelines for python modules that
includes Guidelines for python3 but suffered network difficulties in the
middle of the discussion.  This will ocntinue on the packaging mailing list
and hopefully be voted on later this week.

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackagingDrafts/Python3

Current state:

For: 3 rdieter, tibbs, abadger1999

Against: 1 racor racor wants to have a note in the guidelines of when the
python-2.x package will be removed from Fedora.  Other committee members
argued that this was 1) out of scope for the FPC (would be a packagr or
FESCo decision) and 2) impossible to know at this juncture as the uptake of
python3 among module authors is not yet very high -- that leads to no one
being able to port because their dependencies have not been
ported.
"""
Logs of this  portion are at:
http://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/fedora-meeting/2010-02-03/fedora-meeting.2010-02-03-16.04.log.html#l-175

I'd like to have the vote continued, here on the mailing list to see if we
can either get the 5 +1's we need or dig up issues that must be addressed.
There is a Fedora 13 Feature that depends on this:
  https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/Python3F13

We should at least have some idea of whether there's large remaining
problems to be worked out in the Guidelines for Feature Freeze (Tues next week).

hansg was a +1 provided no big problems were brought up but couldn't be
present for the discussion.  Hans, are you still +1 after racor's objection?

limburgher, sorry we couldn't resolve you being able to speak in channel
until after the meeting.  Care to cast your vote?

rathann,  SmootherFrOgZ, spot, your votes would also be appreciated.