[Fedora-packaging] Python Guidelines Vote

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Thu Feb 4 04:32:45 UTC 2010

On 02/03/2010 08:41 PM, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
>  From the summary for today's meeting:
> """
> The committee started voting on new Guidelines for python modules that
> includes Guidelines for python3 but suffered network difficulties in the
> middle of the discussion.  This will ocntinue on the packaging mailing list
> and hopefully be voted on later this week.
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackagingDrafts/Python3
>
> Current state:
>
> For: 3 rdieter, tibbs, abadger1999
>
> Against: 1 racor racor wants to have a note in the guidelines of when the
> python-2.x package will be removed from Fedora.  Other committee members
> argued that this was 1) out of scope for the FPC (would be a packagr or
> FESCo decision) and 2) impossible to know at this juncture as the uptake of
> python3 among module authors is not yet very high -- that leads to no one
> being able to port because their dependencies have not been
> ported.
This summary is not entirely incorrect.

I want the FPG to contain a statement on the intention of this proposal:

* to allow a smooth transition from python2 to python3, on the
background of a strong intention to abandon python2.
* to encourage upstreams and packagers to upgrade their works to python3.
* people to consider this python2/python3 parallelism to be temporary.

Background of this rationale:
* Continuing support for obsolete toolchains encourages developers to
not switch away from obsolete toolsets.
Experience tells, packages which rely on obsolete toolchains often tend
to be poorly maintained and to be gradually suffer from bit-rot in
longer terms

* Parallel installation causes bloat (DVD space) and additional effort.

My vote: -1, without explicity emphasize on an intention to abandon
python2 and the temporary nature of this rule.

In an ideal world, this rule would be combined with a projected deadline
of when Fedora intends to abandon python2.

Ralf