[Fedora-packaging] remove source files

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Wed Feb 10 22:24:20 UTC 2010

On Thursday 11 February 2010, Scott Frankel wrote:

> I'm using a simple spec file to package a python-based application for
> distribution.  When passed to rpmbuild, it creates an rpm with both
> source (.py) and bytecode compiled (.pyc) files.  I'd like to remove
> the source files from the rpm.

Try this in %files:
%exclude /path/to/stuff/*.py

Note that if you're talking about a package intended for inclusion in Fedora,
I suppose the reviewer of your package would ask you to include the *.py in
the package (although I can't find inclusion of *.py explicitly mentioned in
the cached copy of the Fedora Python guidelines I can access right now - maybe
it should be added?).

Also, *.pyo in addition to *.pyc should be included in your package.  See
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Python (when it's back up).