[Fedora-packaging] remove source files

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Mon Feb 15 22:28:48 UTC 2010

On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 04:01:25PM -0600, Garrett Holmstrom wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 3:50 PM, Scott Frankel <frankel at circlesfx.com> wrote:
> > Is the upshot of this conversation that RPMs should not be used to
> > deliver closed-source applications written in Python?
>
> Certainly not as part of Fedora.  You're free to do whatever you like
> with RPMs you ship yourself.

+1

The Fedora Packaging Guidelines contain some portions that are general
packaging best practices and also some things that are specific to
delivering an open source Linux Distribution.  We haven't made any attempt
to separate these two requirements since the Guidelines are mostly written
for us and possibly to share with other Linux Distributions.

If you're shipping proprietary applications using RPMs, you can certainly
look at the Fedora Guidelines for examples of things that Linux admins in
general and Fedora admins in particular are looking for (compliance with the
FHS, no bundling of libraries, etc) but you can decide that you need or want
to ignore a particular Guideline because your requirements are different.
It's good to know both why you want to disregard the Guideline, though, and
why system admins want it to be followed so that you can justify your
decision to your customers :-)