[Fedora-packaging] Next FPC Meeting

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Mon Feb 15 23:42:11 UTC 2010

Greetings all, it's time for another of our bi-weekly meetings.  Same time
since we still haven't figured out a time that works better for everyone::

  Wednesday at 16:00 UTC, in #fedora-meeting

I may not be able to attend this meeting as I think I'll be traveling to the
airport during that time but spot will be present to run the meeting.  These
are the things on the agenda for this week and my votes (unless I can make
it):

Complex Font Template fix --
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fix_Complex_Font_Template(draft)

This is also something that FESCo asked us to look at.  Since the Complex
Fonts template results in unexpanded macros showing up in SRPMs, we need to
look at correcting the template to comply with the Buildtime Macro .  There were two suggestions on the mailing
list.  I've put them both there.  No answer from the fonts sig about which
they'd prefer so it's just a matter of choosing one.

|-

RPMMacros improvements --
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackagingDrafts/RPMMacros_sharedstatedir_optflags_and_admonitions

Till made a bunch of small cleanups for this page.

I'm +1

|-
Which files to include in python modules --
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/No_py_removal%28draft%29

Ville drafted a proposal in response to the question of whether we should
remove *.py files in Fedora.  Here's the addition to the python Guidelines
for that.

I'm +1
|-

Static Library PICness --
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Ajax/Static_Library_PICness_Guidelines

Ajax drafted this guideline as a response to seeing Debian asking for
an explicit okay to package PIC compiled code in static libraries.

I'm okay with the concept but I've left comments on the page for things I'd
like to see clarified so reviewers know what to look for and packagers know
how to deal with the issue.

I'm +0 until more work is done on addressing the comments.  I can vote on
the list if something new gets drafted.

|-

CMPI Plugin Guideline --
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackagingDrafts/CMPIPlugins

mdomsch wrote this for CMPI Plugins.  There's a few outstanding questions on
the page that need to be addressed.  We can look it over for other things we
want addressed but I don't think this is ready for a vote yet.

If it comes up for a vote, I'm +0 until the questions are resolved.  I can
vote on the list if something new gets drafted.
|-

Clarify line between bundled libraries and copied snippets of code --
https://fedorahosted.org/fesco/ticket/314

This is the big issue this week.  It's something that FESCo has asked us to
look into.  There's a bit of homework involved as we need to take a look at
the code in the first set listed there and see if:

1) We'd recommend an exception for any of them

2) Would we put any conditions on the bundling (like upstream needs to get
this code into a state to unbundle), you must contact upstream, you must
work on a patch, etc.

3) Can we draw any general criteria out of it so that we don't have to push
as many things through the exception process (or if they do, there are some
pretty clear rules of whether something should be granted an exception or
not.)

These are the three files to examine:
    * http://core.trac.wordpress.org/browser/branches/2.8/wp-includes/canonical.php
    * http://core.trac.wordpress.org/browser/branches/2.8/wp-includes/wp-db.php
    * http://core.trac.wordpress.org/browser/branches/2.8/wp-includes/Text/Diff.php

If people do look at the source code and the history of the libraries that
are being bundled before the meeting, I think we could make a recommendation
on those specific three files.  Looking for general criteria is probably
something that we can throw ideas out at the meeting, discuss them on the
list, and then generate some useful discussion for a formal draft.