[Fedora-packaging] Is class-path-in-manifest permitted when packaging a JAR file depending on a JNI-using JAR file?

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Sat Feb 27 18:51:39 UTC 2010

On Saturday 27 February 2010, Chen Lei wrote:
> I realized from
> https://fedoraproject.org/w/index.php?title=Packaging:Java&oldid=154023#Gu
> ideline that  if you are depending on a JNI-using JAR file, you'll need to
> add it manually -- build-classpath will not find it.  Does this mean that
> I can add the JNI-using JAR file to the class-path in MANIFEST.MF?

No.  Among other usual problems with manifest classpaths, that would make your
jar arch dependent and it could no longer be installed in /usr/share/java
which would then cascade into packages that use your jar.

What you should look into doing is finding out whether the "java" to be
invoked is a 64-bit or 32-bit one, and add /usr/lib64/some/thing.jar or
/usr/lib/some/thing.jar accordingly as appropriate to your classpath.  I'm not
sure if there are any helpers available for doing that.