[Fedora-packaging] Inaccurate information about LiVES package

salsaman salsaman at gmail.com
Tue Jun 1 14:53:22 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 11:37 AM, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski <
dominik at greysector.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Monday, 31 May 2010 at 10:34, salsaman wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > I am the main developer/maintainer of LiVES (
> http://lives.sourceforge.net).
> >
> > I recently noticed the information about LiVES on this page:
> > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackageMaintainers/WishList#L-M
> >
> > The information give about LiVES is inaccurate/incorrect. First of all,
> > LiVES is not dependant on ffmpeg. As in, you can perfectly well build and
> > run the application without ffmpeg being present on either the build
> system
> > or the end user system.
>
> What codecs and containers is LiVES able to process without FFmpeg/MPlayer?

dv (with libdv), ogg/theora (although ffmpeg is required for vorbis
encoding/decoding), mng (encoding only), animated gif.

>  > However, the ffmpeg libraries are recommended for end users, since LiVES
> > will make indirect use of them (via mplayer) for decoding some video
> > formats, and via mencoder for encoding some video formats.
>
> Well, neither MPlayer nor MEncoder can't be included in any useful form
> in Fedora. We have them in RPMFusion instead.
>
> > I fail to see the reason for this to be sufficient cause for crossing out
> > LiVES.
>
> Is it useful without mplayer and mencoder binaries at all? What can it do
> then?

You can edit dv, or you could for example load in an image sequence and
encode it to ogg/theora.

>  > A long time ago, ffmpeg contained some allegedly patented code (AAC
> > audio IIRC), however this code was removed from the core of ffmpeg at
> least
> > 5 years ago.
>
> Not true at all. FFmpeg contains a lot of code that implements standards
> that depend on possibly patented "inventions". I've been following FFmpeg
> development almost from the beginning (and I maintain FFmpeg packages in
> RPMFusion) and I don't remember any code being removed from FFmpeg on the
> basis that it was allegedly covered by patents. The AAC case you're
> referring
> to was about licence compatibility, not patents. FAAC was distributed under
> the GPLv2, but it turned out that it contained some code whose licence was
> incompatible with the GPL, so FFmpeg stopped allowing enabling FAAC support
> without --enable-nonfree, because binaries linked with libfaac are not
> distributable.

Again, what patents are violated by the *core* of ffmpeg (with all non-free
decoders/encoders disabled) ? I think the only codecs included in the core
are probably snow, and the nut container format.

> > If you don't believe me, then how is it that both ffmpeg and LiVES are in
> > debian testing and unstable ? Please check for yourselves, and contact
> the
> > debian legal team if you are still in doubt.
>
> For some reason, Debian seems to include the decoding parts of various
> codecs
> even though they may be covered by some patents. They don't ship any
> encoders
> as far as I know, though. Anyway, even the decoders are not OK for Fedora.

It depends on which codecs. For example if they include only theora, dv, pcm
and mjpeg decoding then there is no problem. Same with ogg and matroska
container formats.

> > It is particularly timely that I noticed this, as I would like to
> introduce
> > the new packager for LiVES in Fedora, Harry Rickards (harry at linux.com).
> > Harry is also the point of contact between LiVES and the debian
> multimedia
> > team who are responsible for packaging LiVES for debian.
> >
> > I hope that you will correct the information on the wishlist page, stop
> > spreading (unintentional ?) FUD about ffmpeg, and most importantly give
> > Harry every assistance with the Fedora LiVES packages.
>
> We welcome all new packagers with open hands. However, please check your
> facts before going off on a rant and accusing people of spreading FUD.

When you can show me an actual example of a registered patent which the core
of ffmpeg violates then I will stop. Until then I still regard it as FUD.

Salsaman.