[Fedora-packaging] Inaccurate information about LiVES package

Jarod Wilson jarod at redhat.com
Tue Jun 1 15:30:53 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jun 01, 2010 at 12:11:19PM -0300, salsaman wrote:
> Please answer the question. I have been personally assured by
> representatives of the mplayer developers that the ffmpeg code contains *no
> patented code*.

Are these mplayer developers legal experts in patent law?

> I spent over two years fighting to convince the debian
> developers that this was true, until they finally accepted it.

Again, Debian doesn't have the same level of exposure as a distribution
with a corporate backer in the US -- i.e. Red Hat. Red Hat legal has
already made a call on this. They would have to clear any change in stance
with respect to ffmpeg and the like.

> I am very tired of this discussion, and I am not prepared to go through it
> all again with the fedora legal dept.
>
> Please just point me to just one registered patent that the core of ffmpeg
> is known to violate.
> Otherwise you are just spreading FUD.

If you're not willing to talk to someone with legal expertise about a
legal matter, then you're not going to get anywhere here. Sorry.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at redhat.com