[Fedora-packaging] Inaccurate information about LiVES package

salsaman salsaman at gmail.com
Tue Jun 1 16:43:06 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 1:34 PM, Jeff Spaleta <jspaleta at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 8:30 AM, Harry Rickards <harry at linux.com> wrote:
> > Just like to say to everyone that I'm currently packaging LiVES, and
> > although I've hit a couple of problems hope to have a review request
> > on bugzilla within the next couple of days.
>

> How functional is it without mplayer?  And does the runtime detection
> work such that if you install mplayer from rpmfusion full
> functionality is recovered?

Without mplayer, you would be limited to the following formats (assuming you
had all the other required libs installed):

decoding:

dv (audio and video)
ogg/theora (no audio)
animted gif

multiple images (i.e animation sequences)
generators (e.g. title generators)

external window and desktop capturing

clip imports from other copies of LiVES

encoding:
dv (via libdv)
ogg/theora (via encoder_example)
animated gif
flash/swf (using multiple jpeg)
pdf

mjpeg/pcm (possibly) via transcode

If a user installs mplayer/mencoder after installing LiVES, then they will
inherit whatever functionality is in mplayer/mencoder.

Regards,
Salsaman.