[Fedora-packaging] Confusion regarding file location

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Tue Jun 1 17:01:00 UTC 2010

On 06/01/2010 06:44 PM, Rangeen Basu wrote:
> 2010/6/1 Toshio Kuratomi<a.badger at gmail.com>:
>> On Tue, Jun 01, 2010 at 09:36:51PM +0530, Rangeen Basu wrote:
>
>> Since it sounds like none of this is arch specific, probably
>> %{_datadir}/gnumed-server is where you want them.  However, I have
>
> Are you suggesting that I put the .py files, .sh files and .conf files
> in the %{_datadir}/gnumed-server together?
This would be too simplistic, because a file's installation location
doesn't actuallly depend on the language it is written in, but more on
the "role" a file has.

That said, you have distinguish public programs/libraries, internal
programs/libraries, data files, config files and others (c.f. the FHS
for details).

E.g. when presuming *.conf files are "system wide, admin-customizable"
config-files, they would have to go into /etc or a subdirectory of it.

Ralf