[Fedora-packaging] Inaccurate information about LiVES package

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Tue Jun 1 22:59:47 UTC 2010

2010/6/1 salsaman <salsaman at gmail.com>:
> Therefore, I would be interested to know - if one were to build
> libavcodec/libavformat with all codecs disabled except for say,
> ogg/theora/vorbis, would there still be a problem ?

Yes. If the codec support in question is strictly a build time option
for the libraries in question.
If the supported codecs are strictly compile time options, then we are
put in a position where we have to anticipate users needing to replace
already installed Fedora packages with packages from somewhere else to
gain the additional functional.  We avoid doing that as a matter of
policy as it adds complexity to the multi-repository relationship.  We
prefer runtime detectable solutions that can be packaged as plugins
which do not conflict with Fedora packages.

This is what makes gstreamer a preferred framework for us as a
distributor...its runtime extensibility.  An addon repository can
package gstreamer plugins that extend functionality without needing to
replace any packages we provide as part of Fedora.  On top of that
there are hooks in packagekit which allow users  to install the
gstreamer plugin package on demand based on mime information from
their configured repositories.

Xine libraries also exposes enough runtime detection capabilities to
allow up to ship the core xine libraries in fedora...while some codec
support support is provided as plugins from elsewhere.

-jef