[Fedora-packaging] Sponsorship model

Parag N(पराग़) panemade at gmail.com
Fri Jun 4 01:18:32 UTC 2010

Hi,

2010/6/3 Ralf Corsepius <rc040203 at freenet.de>:
> On 06/03/2010 02:44 PM, Parag N(पराग़) wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>      I see
>> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_get_sponsored_into_the_packager_group#Sponsorship_model
>> says that
>>
>> " The best ways for you to illustrate your understanding of the
>> packaging guidelines
>> are to submit quality packages and to assist with package reviews."
>>
>> My question is that is it really mandatory for new contributors to
>> assist with pre-reviews of packages in NEW queue?
>
> IMO, yes.
>
>> Can we sponsor new
>> contributor based on his package submissions only( say he submitted 3
>> to 5 packages)?
>
> IMO, no. The point behind all this is the candidate to demonstrate his
> "understanding". As I see it, "number of packages" isn't actually related to
> this kind of "understanding".
>
> "3 to 5 packages" can mean a packager blindly and mechanically copying other
> people's works without him actually having understood what he is doing.
>
> On the other hand, there are candidate packagers with a long history in
> packaging and deep understanding which simply are "new to Fedora" and are
> unfamiliar to the "Fedora packaging" process.
> In these cases, "3 to 5" packages may easily be a too high measure.
>
> Ralf

I see all above replies in favor of sponsor person to ask new
contributor to pre-review some packages. Can't then this be mandated
to each sponsor that before he will sponsor someone he must ask new
contributors for pre-reviews? I think it should not be good to have
something written(to assist with package reviews) in sponsorship model
and we are taking its meaning something else (not needed pre-reviews).

The only reason I am in need of this explanation is that then I will
not ask new contributors for pre-reviews and will sponsor them based
on their submissions only.

Parag.