[Fedora-packaging] pkgconfig as BuildRequires really needed?

Mamoru Tasaka mtasaka at ioa.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp
Tue Jun 22 17:01:47 UTC 2010

Parag N(पराग़) wrote, at 06/23/2010 12:55 AM +9:00:
> Hi,
>     I see minimal build environment always pulling pkgconfig and also
> we have " There is no need to include the following packages or their
> dependencies as BuildRequires because they would occur too often."
> written in packaging guidelines[1]. Does this mean I can recommend in
> new package reviews or existing package owners to drop BuildRequires:
> pkgconfig in spec files?
>
> Parag.
>
> [1]https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Guidelines#Exceptions_2

While currently I have no strong positive or negative opinion for
this, I just note that the reason that currently even minimal buildroot
always pulls pkgconfig in is because rpm-build package has explicit
"Requires: pkgconfig" . See:

* Wed Dec 03 2008 Panu Matilainen <pmatilai at redhat.com>
- make rpm-build require pkgconfig (#473978)

Regards,
Mamoru