[Fedora-packaging] Update for the GCJ section of Java Guidelines

Jason L Tibbitts III tibbs at math.uh.edu
Fri May 7 17:54:59 UTC 2010

Perhaps I simply missed it, but I don't believe I've seen any response
to my previous message and I'd really like to get a bit of clarification
before I go poking around in the guidelines without fully understanding
the issue.

Also, a question came up on the devel list regarding whether javadoc
packages must have a dependency on the main package, which is shown in
the templates but not addressed in the guideline.  If I could get an
answer to that as well, I'll go ahead and draft an update.

My message from last week is included below in case it was somehow
dropped by the list software.

AO> Let's make it a "use it if you want to" thing.

In that case, we still need to indicate some basic positives and
negatives of using it, at least so that people who think "it's cool to
include everything in my packages" won't go ahead and do it without an
understanding of the downsides.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:GCJGuidelines has the current
guidelines.  We can obviously remove the caution box for Fedora 8 at
this point, but the first two paragraphs should be rewritten.

While we're in there, could you also verify that the rest of the
GCJGuidelines page are
correct?  Anything else you'd like to add or change in the main
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Java guideline page?

Finally, what might EPEL (RHEL4 and RHEL5) need to do regarding GCJ?  I
suppose they still need to use it, and will need an indication of that
in their guidelines.

 - J<