[Fedora-packaging] #15 relaxing guidelines wrt. bundling

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Mon Nov 1 15:05:10 UTC 2010

On Sun, Oct 31, 2010 at 10:47:52AM -0500, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 31, 2010 at 08:41:14 -0700,
>   Toshio Kuratomi <a.badger at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Possible how: Apps are allowed to bundle libraries as long as the maintainer
> > commits to keeping the app ported to the newest version of the bundled
> > library within Fedora at all times.
> Is there going to be a tracking system for bundled libraries? This would
> be useful when there are security fixes for a library so that someone could
> find all of the packages that bundle that library. It could also be useful
> for tracking aspects of bundling to help with decisions down the road.
Part of my rationale in the ticket for relaxing this rule is that we
changed the Guidelines during the last update to require that apps bundling
libraries must have a virtual Provide: that lists the library:

An example might be rsync and zsync.  They would have:
  Provides: bundled(zlib) = 1.1.14

Note that no one has gone through the exception list yet and either opened
bugs on bundled libraries or had a provenpackager add the virtual provides.
If we pass relaxed guidelines, this would definitely need to be done.