[Fedora-packaging] Updating our rpath guidelines?

Michel Alexandre Salim salimma at fedoraproject.org
Sun Nov 7 02:03:13 UTC 2010

Hi all,

Several months ago, Mamoru Tasaka suggested a less intrusive way of
patching a source package's bundled libtool so that /usr/lib64 does
not end up in the installed binaries.

       So actually for most cases, the case that rpath /usr/lib64 is added
       (only for 64 bits arch) can be avoided by
sed -i.libdir_syssearch -e \
   '/sys_lib_dlsearch_path_spec/s|/usr/lib |/usr/lib /usr/lib64 /lib /lib64 |' \
   configure
       i.e. just add the needed paths to sys_lib_dlsearch_path_spec in
       configure (note that libtool in the build directory is generated by
       configure) before calling %configure.
       - You can alternatively do "autoreconf -fi", however calling autotools
         is not recommended unless unavoidable.
----------

I have several packages using the old-style DIE_RPATH_DIE
(http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Guidelines#Beware_of_Rpath)
sed hack, and while they've been working out fine so far, I just
noticed when updating Vala today that this rather invasive change is
responsible for Vala's test suite not to run: since the Vala libraries
have not been installed on the system when the tests were run, Rpath
is actually necessary to run the tests!

Given that there are probably other packages where internal test
suites depend on a currently-uninstalled shared library, updating the
Rpath guidelines ought to have positive effect on packaging quality.
We should probably also search for occurences of the old DIE_RPATH_DIE
and convert them to the new format.

Best regards,

--
Michel Alexandre Salim