[Fedora-packaging] Explicit Requires

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Tue Sep 14 03:51:19 UTC 2010

On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 09:10:31PM -0300, Sergio Belkin wrote:
> Hi Fedora people!,
>
> I have been reading
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Guidelines#Explicit_Requires.
>
> It says that we should avoid explicit requires...
>
> I want to make sure that I understood it. Is an "explicit requires" is both:
>
> 1) A full package: eg: mysql-libs
> 2) A versioned library file:libmysqlclient.so.16.0.0
>
> So, the right way should be:
>
> Requires: libmysqlclient.so
>
> Please fix me if I misunderstood that.

No.  Listing a library in a Requires: tag at all is an explicit requires.
ie:
Requires: libmysqlclient.so

is also not allowed.

RPM is generally good about discovering what libraries a program needs to
run.  So it will find that your program needs libmysqlclient.so.16 and
create a Requires on it automatically.  You do not need to list it in your
package if this is the case.