[Fedora-packaging] private-shared-object-provides in python packages

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Wed Sep 29 18:33:22 UTC 2010

On Wed, 29 Sep 2010, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 09:29:45AM +0100, Paul Howarth wrote:

>>> I still think that related recipes in Wiki should be constructed so that
>>> specfiles containing this stuff continues to work also on distro versions that
>>> don't have those macros.  For example the above could be written as:
>>>
>>> %{?filter_setup:
>>> %filter_provides_in %{python_sitearch}/.*\.so$
>>> %filter_setup}
>>
>> Or it could be encapsulated in a language-specific macro included in the
>> python package, much like what is already done for perl, where the perl
>> module spec files just contain:
>>
>> %{?perl_default_filter}
>>
> I asked this on https://fedorahosted.org/fpc/ticket/16#comment:2 but maybe
> you can answer here instead:
>
> What package is defining that macro and from what Fedora version?  Do you
> know if RHEL5/6 has it as well?

RHEL 6 should have it as redhat-rpm-config is pretty much just inherited
from Fedora. RHEL 5, no.

But... if people are starting to mass-disable the internal dependency
generator just to avoid provides from python/perl/etc private modules, I
think the better fix would be changing rpmbuild to handle that particular
case (extension module for an otherwise known interpreted language)
automatically.

 	- Panu -