[Fedora-packaging] python-2.6 on el5

Thomas Spura tomspur at fedoraproject.org
Wed Dec 7 18:10:35 UTC 2011

2011/12/7 Toshio Kuratomi <a.badger at gmail.com>:
> On Wed, Dec 07, 2011 at 03:09:32PM +0100, Thomas Spura wrote:
>> Hi list,
>>
>> I'm the maintainer of python-zmq and it would be nice, if I could use
>> it also on el5, but I need python26 for that.
>>
>> Would it be ok, to use it and provide a python26-zmq or is an extra
>> review request needed for that?
>> Couldn't find any guideline, that forbits it, but there doesn't seem
>> to be any naming guideline for el, isn't it?
>>
> There aren't proper guidelines for this but there is this page:
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Python26#Packaging_Guidelines_for_EPEL5
>
> Here's the caveats:  dmalcolm is in favor of combined packaging when
> possible (ie, in the non-RHEL/EPEL split case) for packager convenience.
> I'm in favor of split packages for the reasons given on that page.
>
> It sounds like you're thinking python-zmq won't exist on EPEL6, only the
> python26-zmq subpackage.  With that in mind, only the bugzilla consideration
> seems to apply.

python-zmq already is in EPEL6. It's missing in EPEL5 because
python2.4 is too old and not supported:
http://lists.zeromq.org/pipermail/zeromq-dev/2010-November/007597.html

So
* python-zmq will never exist in EPEL5 (unless someone will fork
upstream and make it work with python2.4) or
* python-zmq will contain and provide python26-zmq or
* there will only be python26-zmq
The draft guidelines for EPEL5 don't cover this case...

(I would prefer the providing solution 2 above, unless someone objects...)

Greetings,
   Tom