[Fedora-packaging] python-2.6 on el5

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Wed Dec 7 20:35:21 UTC 2011

On Wed, Dec 07, 2011 at 07:10:35PM +0100, Thomas Spura wrote:
> 2011/12/7 Toshio Kuratomi <a.badger at gmail.com>:
> > On Wed, Dec 07, 2011 at 03:09:32PM +0100, Thomas Spura wrote:
> >> Hi list,
> >>
> >> I'm the maintainer of python-zmq and it would be nice, if I could use
> >> it also on el5, but I need python26 for that.
> >>
> >> Would it be ok, to use it and provide a python26-zmq or is an extra
> >> review request needed for that?
> >> Couldn't find any guideline, that forbits it, but there doesn't seem
> >> to be any naming guideline for el, isn't it?
> >>
> > There aren't proper guidelines for this but there is this page:
> >
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Python26#Packaging_Guidelines_for_EPEL5
> >
> > Here's the caveats:  dmalcolm is in favor of combined packaging when
> > possible (ie, in the non-RHEL/EPEL split case) for packager convenience.
> > I'm in favor of split packages for the reasons given on that page.
> >
> > It sounds like you're thinking python-zmq won't exist on EPEL6, only the
> > python26-zmq subpackage.  With that in mind, only the bugzilla consideration
> > seems to apply.
>
> python-zmq already is in EPEL6. It's missing in EPEL5 because
> python2.4 is too old and not supported:
> http://lists.zeromq.org/pipermail/zeromq-dev/2010-November/007597.html

Oops, yeah, I should have written EPEL5, not EPEL6 above.

> So
> * python-zmq will never exist in EPEL5 (unless someone will fork
> upstream and make it work with python2.4) or
> * python-zmq will contain and provide python26-zmq or
> * there will only be python26-zmq
> The draft guidelines for EPEL5 don't cover this case...
>
> (I would prefer the providing solution 2 above, unless someone objects...)

Well.. when you say python-zmq will contain and provide python26-zmq, do you
mean the python-zmq srpm will provide python26-zmq subpackage (and the main
package won't exist... something I'm not sure works)?  Or do you mean there
will be a python-zmq package with a Provides: python26-zmq ?

I would be very much against having a python-zmq binary package in EPEL that
requires a python other than the main python package.  It causes chaos on
a number of levels:

* User:  "I wonder if I can use python-zmq for my new
  feature for my RHEL5 application... it's in EPEL, I guess so."
* Packager: "python-foobar Requires: python-zmq.  It's in EPEL5 so I'm going
  to build python-foobar there.  Hmm... why does this not work?"
* Sysadmin: "Developer needs python-zmq for his new application, okay yum
  install.... Why is this pulling in python26 packages?  Time to report
  a bug."