[Fedora-packaging] Packaging guidelines with regards to packages that use Clam Antivirus scanner

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Thu Dec 22 21:34:35 UTC 2011

2011/12/22 "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" <johannbg at gmail.com>:
> On 12/22/2011 06:52 PM, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
>>
>> 2011/12/22 "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson"<johannbg at gmail.com>:
>>>
>>> I'm in the midst of converting legacy sysv init scripts that use
>>> /usr/share/clamav/clamd-wrapper to native systemd units and I have
>>> noticed
>>> some discrepancy in their packaging which indicate a lack of guidelines.
>>>
>>> Granted that I'm no clamav expert but from what I can tell the packages
>>> that
>>> use the clamd-wrapper should all be doing the same thing and the package
>>> that does it most right from my point of view is exim-clamd and the worst
>>> one being dansguardian ( which seems to be yet another package we ship
>>> that
>>> is neglected by it's maintainer(s) I come across in the migration
>>> process).
>>
>> Clamav has been a special set of packages with a convoluted history
>> from when it was a package in Fedora Extras. It has many ideas that
>> were experimented with back then but not used later. It is probably a
>> package that needs  a serious rethunk. How it is started and packaged
>> has effects on other packages so it is a Gordian knot.
>>

> Which we will unloose in the form of policy...

Policy is only useful if
a) it is believed in
b) it is followed.

That means finding people who use a package (or class of packages) to
see what they are doing and why... and then you can figure out if you
can articulate that into a policy first. Otherwise the policy ends up
causing more headaches than fun. What level of communication have you
had with Enrico or users of the package.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.
recommend pleasant. You may quote me."  —James Stewart as Elwood P. Dowd