[Fedora-packaging] ExclusiveArch and dependencies

Farkas Levente lfarkas at lfarkas.org
Sun Jan 23 23:46:06 UTC 2011

On 01/24/2011 12:38 AM, Björn Persson wrote:
> I have a question regarding the use of ExclusiveArch.
>
> At https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Architectures#ExcludeArch_.26_ExclusiveArch
> it says that only packages which are exclusively architecture-specific should
> use ExclusiveArch. Is it appropriate to extend this to packages which aren't
> architecture-specific themselves, but which depend on a package that is
> available only on some architectures?
>
> The reason why I'm asking is that some packages with Ada code which I maintain
> can't be built on architectures where Gnat, the Ada compiler, is unavailable,
> and apparently this annoys the people who work on secondary architectures. The
> proposed workaround is to add ExclusiveArch entries to the Ada packages,
> listing the architectures where the gcc-gnat package is available, and then
> update those entries when someone manages to bootstrap Gnat on a new
> architecture. I'd like to know if this use of ExclusiveArch is acceptable, or
> if I'll run the risk of being told that it's against the rules and must be
> removed.

imho it could be a solution, but unfortunately rh and fedora think it's
differently:-( since if the package is noarch then koji can send it to
any builder (even if you have exclusicearch:-() so your package wont
compile sometime...

ps. the same happened with me with gstreamer-java when ppc version of
java always crash. and i ask it a few year ago.. that's the only reason
why gstreamer-java is not noarch:-((