[Fedora-packaging] rpmlint on Fedora and FHS

Jon Ciesla limb at jcomserv.net
Sat Jul 16 22:55:13 UTC 2011

> Mario Blättermann wrote:
>> Am 16.07.2011 21:06, schrieb Siem Korteweg:
>> > Why is it not permitted for packages to install files in /opt while
>> that
>> > is allright according to the FHS and Fedora follows FHS?
>>
>> FHS says in the first sentence:
>>
>> »/opt is reserved for the installation of add-on application software
>> packages.«
>>
>> Installation in /opt is unusual in Fedora, but permitted as far as I
>> know. Is SCC an »add-on software«?
>
> As I understand it, "add-on" refers to software that is not installed as a
> Fedora package, that is a tarball or some other kind of package that you
> download from a third-party website. That's what the generic SCC package
> is.
> Although it's distributed as an RPM package in this case, it's not a
> Fedora
> package, so it belongs in /opt.
>
> When you package SCC for Fedora it becomes a part of Fedora and is no
> longer
> an "add-on", so then its files shall be placed in /usr/bin, /etc/scc and
> /var/lib/scc (not /var/scc).
>
> Björn Persson
> --

Well, only /srv is expressly forbidden:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Guidelines#No_Files_or_Directories_under_.2Fsrv

But my interpretation of the relevant section of the FHS is that the only
things in /opt should be things that are totally self contained, as things
like Skype and other binary-only things tend to be (static linking, etc).
So, I'd stay out of /opt.

-J

--
in your fear, seek only peace