[Fedora-packaging] rpmlint on Fedora and FHS

Siem Korteweg siem at xs4all.nl
Sun Jul 17 12:30:28 UTC 2011

[...]
> As I understand it, "add-on" refers to software that is not installed as a
> Fedora package, that is a tarball or some other kind of package that you
> download from a third-party website. That's what the generic SCC package
> is.
> Although it's distributed as an RPM package in this case, it's not a
> Fedora package, so it belongs in /opt.
>
> When you package SCC for Fedora it becomes a part of Fedora and is no
> longer
> an "add-on", so then its files shall be placed in /usr/bin, /etc/scc and
> /var/lib/scc (not /var/scc).

Thank you for this clarification. Development of SCC started on HP-UX
where both HP and ISV's like Veritas install software in /opt. I
interpreted "add-on" from FHS as "additional" or "non-core" and that
caused my confusion.

As SCC is intended for system administrators, I will rebase SCC to use
/usr/sbin, /etc/scc and /var/lib/scc.

regards
Siem