[Fedora-packaging] localizing spec summary ?

Mario Blättermann mariobl at freenet.de
Thu Mar 10 20:18:33 UTC 2011

p, li { white-space: pre-wrap; }Hi Erik,

Am Donnerstag, den 10.03.2011, 14:58 -0500 schrieb Erik Blankinship:
> Where can I find documentation on how to localize the strings in my
> spec file, specifically Summary: ?
>
> from http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackageMaintainers/CreatingPackageHowTo
> English, and do not end in a period.

This is less documented. However, there's a short hint in the Mandriva wiki:

http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Policies/Charset#Why.3F

I've used it in my packages:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19373040/Fedora/SPECS/cputnik.spec

It works fine, gnome-packagekit shows the translated versions.

I hope we will have a translation routine for package summaries and descriptions in the future, as known from other distributions, such as Ubuntu or Mandriva. To setup a working installation on Koji is difficult, I'm sure. But the translations itself could be reused from the mentioned distributions.

Best Regards,
Mario