[Fedora-packaging] invalid soname question?

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 15:18:00 UTC 2011

On Tue, 8 Feb 2011 08:35:03 -0600, Bruno wrote:

> Am I getting the warning below because there is a period in the lib name?
> mygui-devel.i686: E: invalid-soname /usr/lib/libMyGUI.OgrePlatform.so
>
> If so, is it really an error?

(far behind with some of my folders)

As no reply is listed in this thread:

rpmlint verbose info would say: '''The soname of the library is neither of

The period really isn't the problem, the missing version number is.
Often it's an error because it bears a higher risk of causing breakage.

Btw, "mygui" in Fedora 14 is mispackaged related to this. This lib
has been moved into a private directory %_libdir/MYGUI/ where it is
placed outside run-time linker's search path. The lib isn't found by
the -tools and -demos, which are linked with it. Additionally, some
of the packages suffer from unowned directories.