[Fedora-packaging] invalid soname question?

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 17:14:17 UTC 2011

On Wed, 30 Mar 2011 11:44:57 -0500, Bruno wrote:

> > On Tue, 8 Feb 2011 08:35:03 -0600, Bruno wrote:
> >
> > > Am I getting the warning below because there is a period in the lib name?
> > > mygui-devel.i686: E: invalid-soname /usr/lib/libMyGUI.OgrePlatform.so
> > >
> > > If so, is it really an error?
> >

> > (far behind with some of my folders)
> >
> > As no reply is listed in this thread:
> >
> > rpmlint verbose info would say: '''The soname of the library is neither of
> >
> > The period really isn't the problem, the missing version number is.
> > Often it's an error because it bears a higher risk of causing breakage.
> >
> > Btw, "mygui" in Fedora 14 is mispackaged related to this. This lib
> > has been moved into a private directory %_libdir/MYGUI/ where it is
> > placed outside run-time linker's search path. The lib isn't found by
> > the -tools and -demos, which are linked with it. Additionally, some
> > of the packages suffer from unowned directories.
>
> Thanks. I filed a bug about this. I'll look at getting things fixed for this,
> probably in an F16 time frame, as it will be past beta by the time I get
> a chance to look at it in depth and I don't want to break other packages.

No other packages depend on it:

$ repoquery --alldeps --whatrequires mygui
mygui-0:3.0.1-5.fc15.i686
mygui-0:3.0.1-5.fc15.x86_64
mygui-demos-0:3.0.1-5.fc15.x86_64
mygui-devel-0:3.0.1-5.fc15.i686
mygui-devel-0:3.0.1-5.fc15.x86_64
mygui-tools-0:3.0.1-5.fc15.x86_64

Actually, to have the run-time linker find libMyGUI.OgrePlatform.so in
%_libdir/MYGUI/, the package adds a file in /etc/ld.so.conf/. Rather
pointless, because then it could be stored directly in %_libdir instead.

Currently, the reinstalled -demos and -tools seem to work, too, so the
problems with unowned dirs are minor.

On F-15, libMyGUI.OgrePlatform.so is duplicated, as it is included also in
mygui-devel ... directly in %_libdir. ;)