[Fedora-packaging] Changing default paths for mono packages

Christian Krause chkr at fedoraproject.org
Tue May 31 18:20:11 UTC 2011

Hi,

On 05/31/2011 05:44 PM, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:

> CK> I have discussed this topic with upstream again, and there was an
> CK> agreement that mono assemblies are treated as platform independent
> CK> and so the original reason to change the paths is not valid anymore.
>
> Then we should move them to /usr/share.
>
> The point was that hardcoding /usr/lib is always wrong.  If they're arch
> dependent, they should be in %{_libdir}.  If not, /usr/share.  So we

Why? ;-) The FHS uses the following definitions:

/usr/lib : Libraries for programming and packages
/usr/share : Architecture-independent data

Given just these definitions, libraries with byte code which needs an
interpreter / runtime environment, can still be considered being
libraries which would go into /usr/lib. "data" can also be interpreted
like: additional data files which are needed to execute a program (like
icons, game data, etc.). I haven not found any explicit rule that
"library" only refers to native ELF binaries.

> asked which it was and got the current answer.  If the answer is
> different, then we have another change to make but currently what
> upstream does isn't right in either case.

Upstream would not agree with that statement.

The whole point of the suggested changes is to be closer to upstream.

The reasons are:
- Fedora's way produces lots of unnecessary work
- the changed paths causes lots of bugs
- the patches are rejected upstream
- upstream refuses to help with issues caused by changing the default paths
- Fedora encourages the maintainers to stay close to upstream

Putting the C# assemblies into %{_datadir} would not solve these problems.

Best regards,
Christian