[Fedora-packaging] linking files in /usr/bin

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Wed Nov 23 04:41:08 UTC 2011

On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 09:34:58AM +0530, Parag N(पराग़) wrote:
> Hi,
>    Just want to know if there is any suggested guidelines for linking
> a script file in /usr/bin path. I see some of packages that installs
> the python script files have a wrapper script written and installed in
> /usr/bin. Is there any issue of directly linking that python script
> file in /usr/bin?

I'd have to see some actual examples but for python scripts one interesting
thing is that python will create and use a byte compiled form of the .py
files that it uses *except* for the one specified directly to the
interpreter either through the command line (python script.py) or via
a shebang line.  This means that many upstream python scripts in /usr/bin
are very light wrappers around the real functionality in a python module
located somewhere else so that more of the code gets byte compiled.