[Fedora-packaging] [Guidelines Change] Changes to the Packaging Guidelines

Tom Lane tgl at redhat.com
Thu Apr 12 21:19:36 UTC 2012

Tom Callaway <tcallawa at redhat.com> writes:
> Here is the latest set of changes to the Fedora Packaging Guidelines:
> ---
> Packages which have SysV initscripts that contain 'non-standard service
> commands' (commands besides start, stop, reload, restart, or
> try-restart) must convert those commands into standalone helper scripts.
> Systemd does not support non-standard unit commands.

I was a bit surprised to read this, because in recent versions systemd's
service command supports nonstandard verbs just fine; it'll pass an
unrecognized verb through to the initscript, if there is one.  Is that
functionality going to be removed again?

Background: after having done what the above text directs me to,
I had gotten beaten up over the fact that "service postgresql initdb"
no longer worked, and hence reinstituted a stub initscript that only
handles the nonstandard actions of the old one.  Which works fine, or
at least it did as of last month when I last tried it.  So now I'm in
violation of the guidelines for having tried to keep my users happy,
and I'm not happy, especially since the stated rationale is a falsehood.

			regards, tom lane