[Fedora-packaging] [Guidelines Change] Changes to the Packaging Guidelines

Tom Lane tgl at redhat.com
Fri Apr 13 15:47:46 UTC 2012

Bill Nottingham <notting at redhat.com> writes:
> Tom Callaway (tcallawa at redhat.com) said:
>> I understand what you're saying here. I think dropping the stub is the
>> best path forward here, along with making sure that the new "helper"
>> commands are in the release notes.

> My concern would be that we should likely standardize on a format/invocation
> for new helper commands wherever possible. Do we have existing ones outside
> of iptables at this point?

Postgresql has been using a "postgresql-setup" helper script since F16,
and the F16 release notes explain that instead of "service postgresql
foo" you should do "postgresql-setup foo".  The two nonstandard actions
provided this way are "initdb" and "upgrade", both of which are for
database setup, hence the choice of script name.  That choice probably
doesn't fit for other uses of nonstandard actions, though.

			regards, tom lane