[Fedora-packaging] [Guidelines Change] Changes to the Packaging Guidelines

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Sat Apr 14 21:35:43 UTC 2012

On 04/12/2012 08:57 PM, Tom Callaway wrote:
> The section in the systemd guidelines covering EnvironmentFiles and
> support for /etc/sysconfig files was revised for clarification.
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Systemd#EnvironmentFiles_and_support_for_.2Fetc.2Fsysconfig_files

Just for the record it's not just systemd upstream that frowns upon the
usage of /etc/sysconfig/foo files but also upstream in general due to
the location of those environment files as in the /etc/sysconfig
directory which is Fedora/Red Hat specific.

Upstream has refused to included systemd units that contained reference
to /etc/sysconfig/foo environment files understandably so since those
units aren't distribution agnostic.

What that means for us that in the long run we are going against our own
upstream mantra and we will need to start carrying our own patches which
adds this behavior.

There are two ways we can solve this.

A)

Get rid of usage of /etc/sysconfig/foo environment files on units since
they really aren't necessary anymore and activily advocate copying and
edit or create a unit file with .include reference in
/etc/systemd/system directory.

Or

B).

Adjust that packaging guidelines so those environment files are either
stored directly under /etc or under it's own directory under /etc.

Note that the removal of /etc/sysconfig environmental files has been
meet with little to no resistance within the project from maintainers
that either are upstream or are actively involved with upstream.

It would have been good to see the guidelines adjusted to have package
dropping the legacy sysv init script altogether once the relevant
service/daemon has been migrated to native systemd support since it's
serves absolutely no purpose shipping the legacy sysv init script in a
sub package.

JBG