[Fedora-packaging] Location of LICENSE and README file

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Thu Aug 16 12:46:30 UTC 2012

On 08/16/2012 02:29 PM, Miroslav Suchy wrote:
> Hi,
> I packaged dozen of packages and I'm used to put LICENSE and README
> files just as:
>     %doc README LICENSE
> which place these files in:
>     /usr/share/doc/%{name}-%{version}
>
> Recently I started packaging some rubygems and reviewers pointed [1,2]
> me that I should not explicitly move these files to this location and
> leave them in %{gem_instdir}.
> I do not feel it is correct behaviour.

Agreed.

  Though there can be reasons for not putting LICENSE and README files
into %_docdir [1], I am inclined to believe the ruby packages's behavior
to be a "bad habit" which ought to be abandoned.

Ralf

[1] Eg. READMEs may document files neighboring them. Forcing such
READMEs into %_docdir doesn't make much sense, IMO.