[Fedora-packaging] Creating a "super rpm" that installs other rpms

Fred White derfmails08 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 18 01:39:19 UTC 2012

Hello,

I'm creating a "super rpm" which in turn installs other rpms, and executes
a script and performs non-interactive installation (using expect). These
are application specific RPMs and are currently not available in our
rhn/spacewalk channels. These RPMs needs to be installed in a specific
order and some of them also needs to be installed with nodeps (rpm -i
--nodeps), since there are missing dependencies, and there are vendor
instructions to do so.

I'm seeking advise and suggestions on two issues below:

Issue 1) What are general Fedora packaging guidelines around creating such
an RPM? I'm looking to understand what are the caveats
(non-recommendations) to this approach.
  - I'm not adding a list of these RPMs in the %Requires section of the
SPEC file because that requires further modification of the rhn/spacewalk
channels.
  - RPM installation will be done in the %install section and the script
will be run in the %postinstall using expect (haven't looked at this yet)

Issue 2) I went ahead and built this anyway. Please fine snippet from the
SPEC file and output here:

http://fpaste.org/fuK4/

I'm not clearing RPM_BUILD_ROOT in my install section, but while building
it clears it anyway, hence my installation fails since there are not rpms
there at that time. Is this normal?

So what *should* happen is:

%prep
.. unpacking source
.. cp %(_builddir)/foo %(buildroot)

%install
rpm -ivh a.rpm

But instead:
%prep
.. unpacking source
.. cp %(_builddir)/foo %(buildroot)

%install
rm -rf $RPM_BUILD_ROOT
.. no rpms to install

Any advise and suggestions is highly appreciated. - Thanks!