[Fedora-packaging] New packaging guidelines for Ruby

Rex Dieter rdieter at math.unl.edu
Tue Feb 28 17:05:55 UTC 2012

On 02/28/2012 10:56 AM, Vít Ondruch wrote:

> All three versions provide the same output, unless I did some mistake,
> since I did not tested it (actually the middle one was taken directly
> from rubygem-POpen4.spec). So which version you prefer? Please note that
> the "gem install" will always "unpack" the gem with some additional, for
> our case unimportant, steps. We do not distribute the .gem file anywhere.

You didn't exactly (directly) answer my question.  Pretend I don't know
much about ruby... (not far from the truth).

So, for rubygem packages that include native (C or otherwise code), how
and when is this compiled?  If it is always done so during either
version of these guidelines, please do accept my apologies for being
ignorant.

However, you do say you do not distribute the .gem, though I'm curious
why this seem to contradict you:

rpm -qlp rubygem-POpen4-0.1.4-3.fc17.noarch.rpm
/usr/share/gems/cache/POpen4-0.1.4.gem

-- rex