[Fedora-packaging] New packaging guidelines for Ruby

Bohuslav Kabrda bkabrda at redhat.com
Wed Feb 29 11:01:26 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----

> Le Mar 28 février 2012 16:29, Vít Ondruch a écrit :
>
> > Pleas do not be mistaken. We are not speaking about building gems
> > from
> > sources. We are speaking about building from package manager
> > output,
> > i.e. build gem from gem.
>
> So we are shipping stuff, which is not build from other stuff we
> ship, but
> from magic upstream binaries? Not nice at all.
>
> --
> Nicolas Mailhot

Well, the .gem files are not binaries, they are tar simply files and also contain files with some metadata.
When you call the "gem install --local foo %{SOURCE0}", it takes the .gem file, untars it and produces some necessary files (like .gemspec file) from the metadata.
This is the reason why we feel that rebuilding is not necessary. It doesn't make sense to untar the source, then tar it and finally untar it again (without actually doing something with it) and use the "gem install" command anyway, as now written in [1]. The output is _exactly_ the same as in our proposal, but you need twice the steps to do it.

--
Regards,
Bohuslav "Slavek" Kabrda.

[1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackagingDrafts/Ruby#Building_gems