[Fedora-packaging] external source files for clementine

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Fri Jan 13 06:15:05 UTC 2012

On 01/13/2012 06:20 AM, Orcan Ogetbil wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 12:08 AM, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>> On 01/13/2012 05:49 AM, Orcan Ogetbil wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I have a grey-area issue. The new version of the clementine player
>>> comes bundled with 3rd party source files: sha2 [1], echoprint-codegen
>>> [2].
>>>
>>> There are no licensing issues. Unfortunately, neither of the two
>>> upstreams provide their source files as libraries. From the
>>> descriptions in their webpages [1] and [2], they seem to me as "take
>>> this code and use it in your project as you wish".
>>>
>>> The question is, how do you think this would play with our guidelines?
>> [...]
>>
>>> [1] http://www.aarongifford.com/computers/sha.html
>>> [2] https://github.com/echonest/echoprint-codegen
>> I don't see anything unusal with both of these packages - Am I missing
>> something?
>>
>> IMO, these should be packaged as "ordinary packages".
>>
> Can you define "ordinary packages"?
:) Well, I don't see anything unusal with these packages, which would
require them to be copylibs.
To me, they just seem to lack a built-in infrastructure to "build +
install" them. This is not unusal (esp. with packages originating from
an academic background).

>   Should I write a Makefile or a
> shell script and turn the source files into shared libraries with some
> random sonames, and patch clementine to use these libraries?
More or less yes. You would not necessarily have "to write Makefiles"
and "to add shared libs", but something along these lines.

Ralf