[Fedora-packaging] Shipping only binaries for open source software

Stephen Gallagher sgallagh at redhat.com
Tue Jan 17 13:39:52 UTC 2012

On Tue, 2012-01-17 at 09:00 +0530, Shakthi Kannan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> --- On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 1:01 AM, Frank Murphy <frankly3d at gmail.com> wrote:
> | Who are upstream?
> \--
>
> Upstream does release their sources under the GPL license. They just
> want to know how many people downloaded it.
>
>   http://esl.epfl.ch/3d-ice.html
>
> Thanks for all your feedback. Appreciate it!
>
> SK

I'd check with Legal on this one. According to
http://esl.epfl.ch/page-51743-en.html

"IMPORTANT INFORMATION:  Any usage of 3D-ICE for research, commercial or
other purposes must be properly acknowledged in the resulting products
or publications. Specifically, the publications 1 and 2 below must be
cited in all cases."

This looks to me (IANAL) to be in direct violation of the GPL license.