[Fedora-packaging] Multiple file ownership allowed nowadays?

Kalev Lember kalevlember at gmail.com
Mon Jan 30 08:29:19 UTC 2012

On 01/30/2012 03:04 AM, Christoph Wickert wrote:
> My package gtkhash can now build both against gtk2 and gtk3. I am about
> to package the two versions as gtkhash and gtkhash3, but both packages
> would share one file, /usr/share/gtkhash/gtkhash.xml.

The question about multiple file ownership is interesting and certainly
useful for people who want to ship parallel installable gtk2 and gtk3
versions of a library, but ...

... gtkhash is an application. Why would an user want two copies of the
same app, compiled against different versions of GTK+?

For Python, we even have a guideline to avoid packaging Python 2 and
Python 3 versions of the same executable, leaving it up to the
maintainers to decide when to migrate apps over:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Python#Guidelines

--
Kalev