[Fedora-packaging] RPM macros

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Tue Jul 10 11:48:24 UTC 2012

On 07/10/2012 12:29 PM, Vít Ondruch wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I noticed that in revised haskell guidelines [1], there is mentioned the
> ghc-rpm-macros package, which provides macros.ghc file, which in turns
> provides some useful macros for packaging of Haskell packages. In Ruby,
> we provide similar macro files in ruby-devel and rubygems-devel
> subpackages respectively. Perl has their macros directly in the rpm
> package itself.
>
> This seems to be a bit inconsistent to me. So my question is: shouldn't
> we standardize some best practices with regards of RPM macros? For
> example for Ruby, we placed the macros into -devel subpackages, because
> we believe that it is just development dependency. Any opinions?

Perl has the macros in the main perl package rather than the perl-devel
package because arch-independent perl module builds often don't need
perl-devel - the packaging split is more fine-grained for perl and tends
to become finer with each release as more and more bits are split out
into their own subpackages since they have their own lives upstream.

Paul.