[Fedora-packaging] Distributing prebuilt bios roms with QEMU

Cole Robinson crobinso at redhat.com
Tue Jul 24 19:10:11 UTC 2012

Hi all,

QEMU release tarballs contain a handful of prebuilt roms that enable various
features and emulation targets. We currently don't package any of these roms.

For things like seabios, sgabios, vgabios, and ipxe, we can chuck out the
prebuilt data and depend on natively built Fedora packages. However a handful
of the roms require building on non-x86 (ppc, sparc32/64, s390). Being able to
package the prebuilt roms would enable us to distribute working

Does this sound reasonable, and if so, what's the process for getting this
approved? I'm looking at:

And it sounds like this is a reasonable case for exception, but just want to
confirm. Here's all the details I can gather about the roms:

Usage   : Needed for emulation of certain machines for those architectures.
Source  : http://git.qemu.org/openbios.git
License : GPLv2     http://git.qemu.org/?p=openbios.git;a=blob;f=COPYING

Usage   : Needed for PPC pSeries emulation
Source  : http://git.qemu.org/SLOF.git
License : BSD       http://git.qemu.org/?p=SLOF.git;a=blob;f=LICENSE

Usage   : Needed for s390 emulation
Source  : http://repo.or.cz/w/qemu-palcode.git
License : GPLv2     http://repo.or.cz/w/qemu-palcode.git/blob/HEAD:/COPYING

Usage   : Needed for s390 emulation
Source  : http://repo.or.cz/w/s390-tools.git
License : GPl   http://repo.or.cz/w/s390-tools.git/blob/HEAD:/LICENSE

Usage   : Needed for PPC PREP emulation
Source  : https://github.com/tycho/openhackware
License : GPLv2     https://github.com/tycho/openhackware/blob/master/COPYING

And some compiled device trees. Maybe these just count as program data though?

Usage   : Needed for PPC bamboo machine.
Source  :
License : GPLv2

Usage   : Needed for microblaze emulation
Source  : Hmm, actually I can't seem to find any canonical source :(