[Fedora-packaging] PHP library must not requires Apache

Joe Orton jorton at redhat.com
Thu Jun 14 12:04:35 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 07:44:19PM +0200, Remi Collet wrote:
> So, this is exactly what we need to fix / avoid.
>
> This should be
>
> Requires: php-common >= 5.2.0-9
>
> (php-common which provides php.ini which define the include path of
> /usr/share/php where library must be installed)
>
> I think it only make sense to requires httpd for a webapp when it
> provide an specific httpd configuration file.

I agree with the general sentiment here, but I'm not sure about
encouraging a dependency on php-common specifically.  The existence of
that package should be considered an implementation detail in how we
happen to package php (currently), I'd have thought.

For a PHP library (as in, collection of PHP code), this is more tricky.
We want to express a dependency on a particular language version.  I'd
say php-api would be correct, but that is effectively useless since the
language evolves across minor releases, but the API version does not
have that granualarity.

Maybe a new dependency would be better, have php (and php53, etc) do:

Provides: php-language = %{version}

or something similar?

Regards, Joe