[Fedora-packaging] Packaging legacy sysv initscripts and native systemd unit

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 10:57:42 UTC 2012

Personally I never understood why this was allowed in the first place
but given that we have all GA release on systemd now I'm wondering if
the relevant section in the Fedora packaging guidelines "However,
packagers who wish to include SysV initscripts may also do so" cant be
changed to "However, packagers who wish to include SysV initscripts may
no longer do so" ( or something similar ).

Basically strictly forbid shipping both.

It serves absolute no purpose shipping both legacy sysv init script and
native systemd units. It did not do so from the start and it certainly
does not do so now.

There where few packages that went this route ( those supporting RHEL
and Fedora put in an if statement if on red hat then install sysv init
from what I observed ).

Thanks.
              Jóhann B.