[Fedora-packaging] New packaging guidelines for Ruby

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 14:54:47 UTC 2012

On Fri, Mar 2, 2012 at 12:40 AM, Vít Ondruch <vondruch at redhat.com> wrote:

> There are no problem with approach #3, since nobody uses it. I am not gonna
> to convert any of my packages just to prove you that you are wrong. Prove me
> that you are right, that rubygem-idn is the only problematic package and
> I'll believe you.

Since nobody else was willing to check how well #3 works, I've done so
by converting several packages that I picked at random from the first
packagedb page for packages beginning with rubygem-* (and
deltacloud-core which is given as an example in the guidelines so I
needed to make sure it worked):

 http://toshio.fedorapeople.org/rubygems/

The common case is to add three lines, modify two others, and move
what gets done in %build vs %prep. I had to further modify one
package's spec file which had a find that was catching directories
when it should only be operating on files (added -type f). Thanks to
macros for gem_name and other package info, these changes don't even
vary from package to package. The one package that had patches applied
went from 11 lines of commands down to 9. Reorganizing that section
also made it obvious that the unittests were being installed in the
binary rpm under the old code, a problem that the new code did not
share. The application example also became simpler by two lines.