[Fedora-packaging] Single review request for multiple packages

Simone Caronni negativo17 at gmail.com
Fri May 11 08:38:55 UTC 2012

Hello,

I will try to package the first bits looking at the example you
provided and try to come up with something to post for review.

I will step into #fedora-java if I have issues and to make sure I'm
doing the correct thing.

Many thanks!
--Simone

On 10 May 2012 17:30, Stanislav Ochotnicky <sochotnicky at redhat.com> wrote:
> Quoting Tom Callaway (2012-05-10 16:06:44)
>> You might want to ask in #fedora-java, those guys have quite a bit of
>> experience with packaging Java bits with Maven.
>
> Yes, and at least one of them occasionally reads this list :-)
>
>> On 05/10/2012 08:57 AM, Simone Caronni wrote:
>> > Added all dependencies, not before clashing mid air while applying them :D
>> >
>> > The daemon itself needs a client; documentation on how to write it are
>> > on Guacamole web site.
>> >
>> > The Gucamole project provides its one Web Interface; and I have some
>> > struggle packaging it. It is made of the following components:
>> >
>> > guacamole - The main web application, written in Java.
>> > guacamole-common - The Java API used by the web application.
>> > guacamole-common-js - The JavaScript library used by the web application.
>> > guacamole-ext - Common interfaces for extending the main web application.
>> >
>> > All compile with maven and in the end they are packaged as a war file:
>> >
>> > http://guac-dev.org/guacamole
>> >
>> > I've seen many *-js packages in koji, but they all compile with ant;
>> > here I need maven.
>> > Can somone point me to some examples in Fedora on which I can rely to
>> > build this stack?
>
> Well. For simple-ish examples of using Maven you can have a look at
> apache-commons-io and related commons packages. They should be
> relatively clean being updated only recently.
>
> To build Java stuff with Maven in fedora you have to use a bit modified
> mvn-rpmbuild script that works in offline mode. Note that all
> dependencies (even build-deps) will have to be packaged and properly
> added to BuildRequires, otherwise the packages will not build. Quick
> glance at the deps seemed to suggest we have them all so you should be
> OK. I have to say I kind of like this project. Clear licensing, no
> bundling, no shading. Way to go. You can high-five upstream if you are
> in touch :-)
>
> There is one more issue: We don't have packaging guidelines for java
> webapps. You might want to have a look into[1] and [2] where we
> discussed it somewhat. We should get it over with one of these days. I
> would propose putting the unpacked war file into /usr/share/webapps-java
> and symlinking dependencies into lib subdir. Seems like the package is
> self-contained so even "bundling" its parts in war might be OK here.
>
> If you've never packaged Java software for Fedora this might be a bit
> confusing so feel free to stop by #fedora-java where we can help you out
> in real-time.
>
> [1] http://dep.debian.net/deps/dep7/
> [2] http://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/fedora-meeting-1/2010-12-08/fedora-meeting-1.2010-12-08-17.07.log.html#l-78
>

> --
> Stanislav Ochotnicky <sochotnicky at redhat.com>
> Software Engineer - Base Operating Systems Brno
>
> PGP: 7B087241
> Red Hat Inc.                               http://cz.redhat.com
> --

You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose
sight of the shore (R. W. Emerson).