[Fedora-packaging] Can multiple packages built from same source?

Stanislav Ochotnicky sochotnicky at redhat.com
Fri May 25 10:10:32 UTC 2012

Quoting Lin Gao (2012-05-25 10:07:08)
> Hi,
>
>      We have a package already built in Fedora called: ironjacamar,
> which only produces several core jars used by JBoss AS 7. We also want
> to built a ironjacamar standalone environment which can make the
> ironjacamar running without JBoss AS 7 environment, but this standalone
> environment has different libraries than JBoss AS 7 has. So we plan to
> built a overall new package called: ironjacamar-standalone, which
> produces the ironjacamar standalone environment, it will use the same
> source as the package: ironjacamar uses.  I want to know if it is
> approved in Fedora?

Have you contacted ironjacamar maintainer? I assume ironjacamar produces
only some of the jars required by JBoss AS7, because building additional
jars would need more dependencies. In order to simplify packaging: these
were skipped.

I don't know the details, but I believe going for a subpackage approach
would be better. Getting in touch with ironjacamar maintainers is needed
in any case.

Or maybe I misunderstood and you say ironjacamar-standalone is meant to
be used without requiring several jboss packages? Even in that case a
subpackages could be done in a way to have simple dependencies for one
subpackage and main package just having subpackage in Requires.

--
Stanislav Ochotnicky <sochotnicky at redhat.com>

PGP: 7B087241